1.Were it not for the snowy weather, we ____ all right.
A. would be B. would have been C. were D. may be
2. ____ more careful, his ship would not have sunk.
A. If the captain were B. Had the captain been
C. Should the captain be D. If the captain would have been
3. If he _____ me tomorrow, I would let him know.
A. should call B. should not have been able
C. were not able D. are not able
4. If you asked your father you _____ permission.
A. may get B. might get
C. should have called D. maybe get
5. ____ today, he would get there by Friday.
A. Would he leave B. Was he leaving
C. Were he to leave D. If he leaves
6. ______I you, I would go with him to the party.
A. Was B. Had been C. Will be D. Were
7.The millions of calculations involved, had they been done by hand, ______all practical value by the time they were finished.
A. could lose B. would have lost
C. might lose D. ought to have lost
8. Had Paul received six more votes in the last election, he______our chairman now.
A. must have been B. would have been
C. were D. would be
9. If you ______Jerry Brown until recently, you’d think the photograph on the right was strange.
A. shouldn’t contact B. didn’t contact
C. weren’t to contact D. hadn’t contacted
10. ______he English examination I would have gone to the concert last Sunday
A. In spite of B. But for C. Because of D. As for
11. Look at the terrible situation I am in! If only I______your advice
A. follow B. would follow
C. had followed D. have followed
13. If the horse won today, it______thirty races in five years.
A. would have won B. won
C. must have won D. did have won
14. There is a real possibility that these animals could be frightened, _______a sudden loud noise.
A. being there B. should there be
C. there was D. there having been
16. Jean Wagner’s most enduring contribution to the study of Afro-American poetry is his insistence that it ______in a religious, as well as worldly, frame of reference.
A. is to be analyzed B. has been analyzed
C. be analyzed D. should have been analyzed
17. I would have gone to visit him in the hospital had it been at all possible, but I ______ fully occupied the whole of last week.
A. were B. had been C. have been D. was
18. I apologize if I ______you, but I assure you it was unintentional.
A. offend B. had offended
C. should have offended D. might have offended
19. If you hadn’t taken such a long time to get dressed, we’d______there by now.
A. be B. been C. is D. have been
20. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west, so it seems as if the sun ________round the earth.
A. were circling B. circles C. is circling D. be circling
21. I wish that I ______ with you last night.
A. went B. had gone
C. could go D. could have gone
22. I wish I______with her now.
A. would be B. am C. was D. were
23. I wish that I______the concert last night.
A. could B. have attended
C. had attended D. attended
24. The picture exhibition bored me to death. I wish I____to it.
A. had not gone B. have not gone
C. did not go D. can not have gone
25. “I wish you______me to put these things away,” he said.
A. will help B. help C. are helping D. would help
26. If the Watergate Incident______Nixon would not have resigned from the presidency.
A. did not occur B. had not occurred
C. was not occurring D. be circling
27. I hadn’t expected James to apologize but I had hoped_____.
A. him calling me B. that he would call me
C. him to call me D. that he call me
29. The teacher suggested that her students_____experiences with ESP.
A. write a composition on their
B. to write composition about the
C. wrote some compositions of his or her
D. had written any compositions for his
30. He speaks Chinese as fluently as if he ______a Chinese.
A. were B. had been C. is D. has been
31. As usual, he put on a show as though his trip a great success.
A. had been B. has been C. were D. was
32. Looking round the town, he felt as though he away for ages.
A. has been B. was C. is D. had been
33. John is so strongly built that he looks as if he as elephant.
A. lifts B. is lifting C. lifted D. could lift
34. He described the town as if he it himself.
A. had seen B. has seen C. saw D. sees
35. At that thought he shook himself, as though he from an evil dream.
A. woke B. wakes C. would wake D. had woke
36. Most insurance agents would rather you anything about collecting claims untilthey investigate the situation.
A. do B. don’t C. didn’t D. didn’t do
37. Although most adopted persons want the right to know who their natural parents are, some who have found them wish that they the experience of meeting.
A. hadn’t B. didn’t have had C. hadn’t had D. hadn’t have
38. It is important that the TOEFL office your registration.
A. will confirm B. confirm C. confirms D. must confirm
39. Without electronic computers, much of today’s advanced technology .
A. will not have been achieved B. have not been achieved
C. would not have been achieved D. had not been achieved
40. He told her to return the book in time so that others a chance to read it .
A. may have B. will have C. would have D. might have
41. It is time that the government measures to protect the rare birds and animals.
A. takes B. took C. has taken D. taking
42. Some people are too particular about school records, insisting that every applicant ______all diplomas from elementary school to university.
A. has B. will have C. should have D. must have
43. He was very busy yesterday, otherwise he to the meeting.
A. would come B. came C. would have come D. had come
44. I must say he reads very well, and I shouldn’t be surprised if he acting for a living one day.
A. had taken up B. takes up C. have taken up D. would have taken up
45. If I had seen the movie, I you all about it now.
A. would tell B. will tell C. have told D. would have told
46. I hadn’t expected Henry to apologize but I had hoped .
A. him t call me up B. him calling me up
C. that he would call me up D. that he will call me
47. I had hoped that John ______a year in Africa, but he stayed there only for three months.
A. spends B. spent C. would spend D. will spend
48. I had hoped that Jennifer a doctor, but she wasn’t good enough at science.
A. will become B. became C. would become D. becomes
49. I’d rather you anything about it for the time being.
A. do B. didn’t do C. don’t D. didn’t
50. I’d just as soon_______ rudely to her.
A. that you won’t speak B. you not speaking
C. you not speak D. you didn’t speak
51. It’s high time they this road.
A. mend B. mended C. must have mended D. will mend
52. It’s about time people______ notice of what women did during the war.
A. take B. took C. have taken D. will take
53. Everybody has arrived. It’s time we the class.
A. shall start B. would start C. had started D. start
54. the English examination I would have gone to the concert last Sunday.
A. In spite of B. But for C. Because of D. As for
55. Mary my letter; otherwise she would have replied before now.
A. has received B. ought to have received
C. couldn’t have received D. shouldn’t have received
56. John did not feel well yesterday; otherwise he _______to see his classmates off.
A. came B. would come C. would have come D. should be coming
57. He’s working hard for fear that he .
A. should fall behind B. fell behind C. may fall behind D. would fall behind
58. Without the dreams of the youth, this invention might for a century.
A. have been postponed B. has been postponed
C. postpone D. be postponed
59. In the past men generally preferred that their wives______ in the home.
A. worked B. would work C. work D. were working
60. For a child to give up his less mature idea for a more mature one, it requires that the child
psychologically ready for the new idea.
A. is B. were C. be D. would be
61. Tom’s father, as well as his mother, in New York for a few days more.
A. ask him to stay B. ask he to stay C. asks he stays D. asks he stay
62. Your advice that______ till next week is reasonable.
A. she waits B. she wait C. wait she D. she waited
63. The board deemed it urgent that these files right away.
A. had to be printed B. should have been printed
C. must be printed D. should be printed
64. It was essential that we lease before the end of the month.
A. sing B. singed C. had signed D. were signing
65. It is appropriate that some time ______thorough study of the results of the Apollo mission.
A. devotes to B. devoted to C. is devoted to D. be devoted to
7.B.这个句子中含有一个省略if，把助动词提前到主语they之前的虚拟条件句，该条件句表示对过去情况的假设，而主句中by the time they were finished 表明主句也应该是对过去发生的情况的假设，因而应该选(B)would have lost为正确答案。
8.(D)这道题目是一个混合虚拟语气的句子。条件句省略了if，把助词had提前到主语前面，表示对过去情况的假设，而主句中now表明了对现在情况的假设，所以应选would(should, could, might)+动词原形这种表达形式。四个选项中只有(D)是正确表达形式，故为正确答案。
10.(B)假设的情况有时不是用一个条件句表示，而是隐含在一个由介词如but for、but that、without, 由连词but、副词otherwise 、比较级、形容词、独立主格等表示的上下文中。本句主句表示对过去情况的假设，但事实上由于英语考试而没有去成，即若不是因为英语考试，我本可以去听音乐会，所以应选But for为正确答案。
11.(C)题目中的第一句话表示的是现在真实的情况，而第二句话中所要表达的是应该做但事实上没有做的事，这种情况导致第一句话中真实情况的发生，故If only条件句假设的是过去一种情况，因此应该用had +过去分词，所以正确答案是(C)。
18.(B)此题要求在if从句中选择适当的动词形式，以主句中的动词apologize(抱歉)来看，if从句中表达的内容应该是过去做的事，因此可以排除(A)，因为(A)是现在时。(C)中should+have+过去分词结构表示本来应该做却没有做的事，在此不合题意。(D)选项中的might+have+过去分词表示对过去发生的事情很不肯定的猜测，它表达的内容还不能成为事实，所以藉此道歉真是不知从何说起，因此此处也不合题意。(B)had offended表示当时已经发生了的动作。这是复杂条件句：apologize 是现在，而条件句是表示对过去假设的条件句。
26.(B)had not occurred表示对过去的虚拟，条件句中要用过去完成式，主句中要用should(would, could, might)+动词原形的过去分词。
28.(C)表示对过去情况的假设，主句动词形式为would(should, could, might)+have+过去分词，条件句为过去完成式，if可以省略，但要把had提前主语前面。(B)，(D)的表达不符合英语表达习惯，所以(C)是正确答案。
39.(C)这是一人含蓄虚拟条件句，通过介词短语without,表示潜在的一种假设，而主句中的情况也早已经发生，所以是对过去情况的一种假设，因此用would not have been achieved这一形式。
41.(B)It is time that是一种要求从句用虚拟语气的常见句型。虚拟语气形式为动词的过去式。
43.(C)otherwise用来表示一种含蓄的虚拟假设，因为是对过去(yesterday)的情况的假设，所以应该用would have come形式。
44.(B)所给的四个选项中没有一个表示对未来的情况的虚拟的形式should+动词原形，或是were to do，因此可以断定if引导的条件句在这里最真实的条件句，用一般现在时表示一般将来时，故(B)是正确答案。
50.D.would as soon引导的虚拟语气，其谓语动词也用过去式.
57.A.注意词组for fear that