How do you address(称呼) people in English when you want to talk to them? The following may be some simple rules the beginners should follow.
1. When talking to strangers there is often no special form of address in English. Usually, if you want to catch the attention of a stranger it is necessary to use such phrases as “Excuse me”.
2. In British English “Sir” and “Madam” are considered to be too formal(正式) for most situations. They are used mostly to customers(顾客) in shops or restaurants. While in American English “Sir” and “Madam” are not so formal and are commonly used between strangers, especially with older people whose names you don’t know.
3. When you talk to some people you know, you can use their names. If you are friends, use their first names; if your relationship is more formal, use “Mr”, “Mrs”, “Ms”, etc, before their family names.
4. There are many other forms of address which can be used between friends and strangers. However, many of these are limited in use. For example, “pal” and “mate” can be used between strangers, but are usually only used by men talking to other men.
1. According to the passage, “Excuse me” is mainly used to ______.
A. address a person you don’t know B. apologize to others
C. catch the attention of a stranger D. suggest good manners
2. If John Smith is your best friend, according to the passage you should often call him ______.
A. John B. Smith C. Mr John D. Mr Smith
3. Which of the following is NOT true?
A. “Sir” and “Madam” are used more often in America than in England.
B. People often use “Mr”, “Mrs” or “Ms” before the first names of those people who they don’t know very well.
C. “Pal” and “mate” are usually only used between men.
D. While addressing friends, people just use their first names
4. The passage is most likely taken from an English _______.
A. textbook B. card C. storybook D. grammar book
1. C。细节题。根据第1条 if you want to catch the attention of a strange it is necessary to use such phrases as “Excuse me” 可知答案为 C。
2. A。细节题。根据第3条 If you are friends, use their first names 可知答案为 A。
3. B。细节题。根据原文可知 A、C、D 三项说法是正确的;根据第3条 if your relationship is more formal, use “Mr”, “Mrs”, etc, before their family names可知 B 项说法是错误的，所以此题答案为 B。
4. A。判断题。根据常识可知 card(卡片)、storybook(故事书)、grammar book(语法书)里都不能有这种文章，只有 textbook(课本)中才可能有这种文章，所以答案为 A。
People are so busy these days that many people have no time to cook. This becomes a problem, because most families love home cooking! The food tastes good and warm, and a family meal brings everyone together. In some families, meals are often the only times everyone sees one another at the same time.
Another reason people enjoy home cooking is that it is often a way of showing love. A
parent who makes some cookies is not just satisfying a child’s sweet tooth. She or he is sending a message. The message says, “I care about you enough to spend an hour making cookies that you will eat up in 15 minutes if I let you.”
There is also something about the smell of home cooking. The smell of home cooking pleases people of all ages. It makes most of us feel good and loved, even if we are the ones doing the cooking! Next time you smell a cake making, stop for a moment and pay attention to your mood(心情).
1. Why do fewer people cook now?
A. They are lazy. B. They are too busy.
C. Many people don’t like cooking. D. They don’t like family meals.
2. A parent spends an hour making cookies _______.
A. just to satisfy her or his child’s sweet tooth
B. only to send a message
C. to let a child eat up in 15 minutes
D. often to show her or his love
3. The writer thinks the smell of home cooking _______.
A. makes us happy
B. makes us be interested in cooking
C. makes us pay attention to our mood
D. makes us love others
4. What’s the main idea of this passage?
A. Family meals are important. B. How to make cookies.
C. People are too busy to cook. D. Homemade cookies taste better
1. B。文章第1句people are so busy...(人们太忙了，所以很多人没时间在家做饭)，根据此句可知如今人们很少在家做饭的原因是B。